I wrote an initial New Zealand blog shortly after arriving home from that beautiful land: New Zealand Part I.
Since then I’ve had time to process my photos: Click here.
On this trip we toured the South Island only. Our first stop was Nelson at the very top of the Island.
- Hotel: Chelsea Park Motor Lodge
- Best restaurants: The Styx and Morri Street Cafe
- Favorite Activity: Ocean Kayaking at Kaiteriteri (Means eat quickly in Maroi, a story for another time)
Our next major stop was Christchurch which was a 6 hour drive through brilliant scenery.
- Hotel: Heritage Christchurch is on the Central Square. Consctructed in 1913 in the Italian High Renaissance style
- Best restuarants: Casa Nostra
- Favorite Activity: Antarctic Centre
Our next stop was Franz Joseph Glacier which is on the other side of the Island. Our journey there included a ride on Kiwi Rail through the Southern Alps to Greymouth. Then we drove South along the coast to reach our destination – another day long journey.
- Hotel: Glenfern Villas
- Best restaurants: The Landing which was quite tasty for a town of 300 people
- Favorite Activity: Why the hike up to the glacier through a rain forest of course
Our final destination was Queenstown. This was our longest drive, probably around 10 hours with me stopping constantly to snap photos.
- hotel: Pepper’s Beacon
- Best restaurants: The Public Kitchen
- Favorite activity: Day trip and and cruise to Milford Sound